The types of activities for volunteers vary a great deal depending on the needs of the ongoing work of Compassionet Impact Development Canada as well as what skills and talents volunteers bring to situations. Volunteers can:
Support the Compassionet Homes initiative by:
- Taking on renovation or repair projects.
- Joining the ongoing home build team.
- Joining a building project of another organization such as a local church or charity.
Develop an event for the community/neighbourhood:
Events for children and youth:
- children’s sports clinics
- musical workshops
- arts and crafts afternoons
- a street carnival
- a games day
- basically something fun!
Events for women:
- Many women don’t have much opportunity for fun get-togethers so the sky is the limit. Think crafts, music, theatre, food, hairdressing and esthetics and so on….
- Skill training for women that may help their opportunities for employment.
- Focus Groups for specific demographics of women.
- Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL). Take on a group or just help out for a few days at the CIDC English Classes.
- Tutor a high school student in English or another subject.
- Help out with the Compassionet Impact Library or take out a box of library books for a neighbourhood reading circle.
Community infrastructure improvements:
This option is dependent on local needs and opportunities, the engagement of local people and leaders and, of course, resources. Some recent ideas include:
- a community garden
- playground improvements
- an art wall or art installation
- local garbage storage
- hold a two-or three day free medical clinic
- public health education
- women’s health education